Quartz clock movement into a 240z clock.

The old electro-mechanical clocks in early Datsuns often fail. Funnily enough, it’s typically not actually the mechanical bits that fail but more often than not, the little electric motor that winds the mechanism. I couldn’t fix mine, so I decided to put a quartz movement in the old clock body. It’s a real shame that I’m going to lose that calming ticking sound but at least it’ll work.

Here’s a photo of the mechanism. The electric winder in the background (off-white) has failed. It’s basically 3 coils of extremely thin copper wire with a tiny commutator. One of the wires to the coils had broken and I can’t re solder it because it’s so small (almost too small to see with the naked eye).



So I bought the clock pictured below. It’s an Equus 52mm 12v quartz clock. It’s adjusted with a knob in the centre just like a Datsun clock.



Here’s a couple of crappy camera photos of the clock after I pulled it apart. The clock hands are a light press fit onto the clock spindles (dunno what you call them). The whole thing is mounted on a circuit board that is held to the back of the clock casing with those little brass stud thingies that computer mother boards are typically mounted on. It’s a pretty similar arrangement to the Datsun clock, really.


Here’s the handles. The Datsun ones are black and white. The Equus ones have the red tips. The Datsun hands are meant for a much larger spindle so I decided that the easiest way to mount them was to file down the Equus hands until they were just a tiny little round bit with a hole in the middle and just glue the Datsun hands on top.IMAG0118-1600



Then, I drilled a couple of new holes in the Datsun clock body to suit the mounting points of the Equus PCB and turned down a pair of littlebrassstudthingieslikefrommotherboards so that the clock face was at the right height. You need to be careful with the height because if it’s too high, the adjustment knob will interfere with the clock hands as they try to rotate. If it’s too low, the adjustment knob won’t reach the hands when depressed. Incidentally, the adjustment knob fits perfectly.


Then I put it back together. Everything fit well and you’d never know I changed it. This turned out to be a super-easy modification.


This entry was posted in 240z and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s