Sewing Things.

It’s getting late so I won’t write much right now. Longs story short, I’ve been sewing up vinyl interior bits for the Z. Pics below.

Material, Vinyl from Vyfab in Moorabbin (Great place for buying vinyl), Foam from Clark Rubber (Should have bought from Vyfab):

P1015329-1600

The Beast- a Pfaff 1245:

P1015421-1600

Doglegs- These were a straight cut-and-glue job. Turned out pretty well. I started off using ordinary contact adhesive (that syrupy goop) on the vinyl and spray-on contact adhesive on the foam. You can’t brush on the goopy stuff with foam because it eats it away. Anyway, I found out after I’d already done pretty much all of this that the trick is to thin down the contact adhesive 50% (maybe a tad more) with el cheapo paint thinners and using a spray gun. I did this on the door skins and it works great. Uses up a fair bit of thinners but you really save on the glue.

P1015328-1600

Windscreen Surrounds and headlining:

P1015330-1600

Gear Shifter Boot:

P1015372-1600

Polyprop interior panels. Notice how everything that needs to be on a flat, clean surface in order to take a photo ends up on top of a car?

P1015344-1600

Old Sunvisors. They’re a single piece of masonite with foam on each side and a wire frame surrounding it. The foam was pretty degraded.

P1015347-1600

New Sunvisors. They’re two pieces of 3mm MDF sandwiched around the wire frame.

P1015359-1600

P1015360-1600

Cut pieces of vinyl. You can tell I did this after the clock article because I still have writing on my knee.

P1015361-1600

I cut some extra bits of red to practise a bit with layering and back-seaming. I wanted to get this down before I attempted the doors.

P1015367-1600

P1015386-1600

The bits of red vinyl have a purpose…

P1015390-1600

P1015391-1600

I didn’t get the shape of the door cards right the first time, so I cut them, up,planed to shape and put some leftover fibreglass on top.

P1015349-1600

I was particularly fastidious with the marking out this time.

P1015364-1600

 

Here’s what I did with the door skins: I copied the pattern that was pressed into the stock door panel and recreated it with a red vinyl inlay. I figured that the stripey bit was made to replicate blind seam pleats, so I replicated the replicate blind seam pleats with… blind seam pleats.

P1015373-1600

P1015370-1600

P1015377-1600

P1015374-1600

This takes forever! I really enjoyed sewing for about half an hour now I hate it.

P1015392-1600

You can see how things didn’t quite add up in the end due to the pleated section shrinking more than expected from the blind seams.

P1015394-1600

P1015397-1600

In this photo, I’ve sewn down the top and bottom seam

P1015419-1600

And here they are, finished… Now I just have to put them on the door cards. I haven’t actually done this yet, and will update this post when I’m done.P1015425-1600

P1015426-1600

P1015427-1600

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 240z and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s